PSN-L Email List Message

Subject: Re: geophones
From: Doug Crice dcrice@............
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 18:11:46 -0700

Geophones are manufactured as either horizontal or vertical units. The
vertical ones have a little extra spring pull to support the moving coil
against gravity.  It is highly likely that these Geosource units are

You can buy horizontal and vertical geophones.  Used ones are available
from R. T. Clark (inventory varies from time to
time). Horizontal geophones are often called "shear wave" geophones in
the oil patch.

For earthquake recording, don't even consider any with natural
frequencies higher than 5 Hz, and even those will only be good for local


Casey Crane wrote:
> Hi All,
>         I was wondering if any could tell me if I can use a geophone
> in a horizontal configuration . has a unit made by
> Casey
> ________________________________________________________________
> Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less!
> Join Juno today!  For your FREE software, visit:
> __________________________________________________________
> Public Seismic Network Mailing List (PSN-L)
> To leave this list email PSN-L-REQUEST@.............. with
> the body of the message (first line only): unsubscribe
> See for more information.

Doug Crice
19623 Via Escuela Drive		      phone 408-867-3792
Saratoga, California  95070  USA	fax 408-867-4900

Public Seismic Network Mailing List (PSN-L)

[ Top ] [ Back ] [ Home Page ]

Larry Cochrane <cochrane@..............>