PSN-L Email List Message
Subject: Re: A simpler Shackleford-Gundersen frame
From: meredithlamb meredithlamb@.............
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:52:55 -0600
Hey.....thats great on the stability part....its most useful to know,
including the "T" nuts application to such! What brand of
construction adhesive did you use? Most glues don't work
well with water over time....finding a very good U.S.A., brand is
tough it seems. The Permabond F246 variety from the UK seems
highly excellent for thin glue gap uses but for thick gaps like
concrete....I don't know? Somes "little" stuff like the glue
determine success or failure....
Thanks for the informative reply!
Keith Payea wrote:
> Hello All:
> I took the concrete block and epoxy approach when I built my STM-8 vertical.
> I used two layers of 8 x 16 and 8 x 8 pavers to make a base 8 by 24 inches.
> The end of the boom is supported on a pair of concrete bricks. This whole
> thing is held together with construction adhesive. I painted the concrete
> with a good white sealer/primer to keep moisture out. Other parts are
> attached by drilling a shallow hole in the concrete and using epoxy to
> attach a "T" nut to the concrete. Then the part is just bolted down. This
> machine has been in operation for almost three years with no problems. It
> is very stable. I too toyed with the idea of building an SG out of
> concrete parts. My concept was to use a 12" square paver or two for the
> base, and then stand three 8 x 16 pavers on end so they look like a "U"
> shape when viewed from above. I never got a chance to try it out.
> Keith Payea
Public Seismic Network Mailing List (PSN-L)
[ Top ]
[ Back ]
[ Home Page ]